Data Track: Population Health Data Migration Project
The Population Health Scholars program at UT System is seeking candidates for a 10-20 hour/week position for the Spring 2018 semester to work on a data migration project. The candidate will work with Population Health staff in developing and implementing a process for migrating public use hospital data that Population Health receives quarterly as text files from the Department of State Health Services into a relational database.
The position will be at the UT System offices at 7th and Lavaca in downtown Austin. There is the possibility of the position continuing in the summer or future semesters to work on additional projects involving the data systems at Population Health.
Major Duties/Critical Tasks
- Analyzing the data for content and variation year-to-year
- Working with Population Health researchers to determine what data is most important to them
- Developing a strategy and process for migrating the data into a relational database, both historical and going forward
- Testing migrated data with researchers to ensure that it meets their needs for access via queries and a variety of statistical tools such as SAS
- Experience with relational databases
- Communication skills and the ability to work with others to determine requirements, needs and direction
- Knowledge of MySQL.
- Knowledge of Linux.
Candidates must be currently enrolled UT Austin undergraduate or graduate student in either Computer Science or the School of Information.
Submit resume/CV and cover letter to Jon Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org